High Command Of The Armed Forces. 9th September, 1944.
1. Commander In Chief West will assume command of the German western defences (including the West Wall) and all protective forces there, from 11th September, 1944, at 00.00 hours.
He will thus take over all the tasks which I have transferred to the Chief Of Army Equipment And The Replacement Army, for the fortification and defence of the German western position.
2. For this purpose the following are subordinate to Commander In Chief West:
3. The Chief Of Army Equipment And The Replacement Army will ensure that formations and fortress troops for garrisoning the German western position come under the command of Commander In Chief West at the stipulated time.
- (a) The Command staff for construction of the western defences (Commandant Fortified Area, West 2, General Of Engineers Kuntze).
- (b) Temporarily, Commanders Of Military Districts VI, XII, and V, with regard to their tasks connected with completion, equipment, and defence of the western position.
4. As newly raised formations arrive, Commander In Chief West will relieve the troops from the Chief Of Army Equipment And The Replacement Army, which have been employed in the German western position (the Valkyrie Units), and place them again at the disposal of the Chief Of Army Equipment And The Replacement Army.
Military District Headquarters VI, XII, and V will be shortly relieved of their tasks in the western position by Staffs of the Field Army.
5. Commander In Chief West will report when he takes over command, and submit his proposed timetable for the withdrawal of the Military District Headquarters and Valkyrie units from the German western position.